Thursday, April 12, 2018

After I Read Their Detective Manual I Thought I Was Sherlock Holmes

 
I loved the Hardy Boys with these blue covers. I read the whole collection the school had since we had to always have a book on the go in elementary. I chose something I could read fast and that had a mystery for me to solve. These were a quality choice for a budding young detective like myself.
 
I would love to have these books back along with my Boy Scout Manual, both which I read to death as a kid. Basic training for any wannabe Batman or if I ever found myself on the Lord of the Flies island. I always carried my scout manuel in a plastic bag when I was out in the woods. The Cub Manuel taught me how to fry bacon and eggs on an empty can of orange juice and how to tie knots
 
 
The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook was something I DEMANDED in no uncertain terms that it should be brought to our school library. That librarian knew I wasn't messing around so she actually bought TWO copies and gave me one as a bullshit prize for always returned my books on time. But we both knew the truth. She was afraid of me at six.
 
These Cub and Scout Handbooks also were great reads if you want to know all those skills you will need to suvive after the Apocalypse. In fact, I lost these books in the Great Disaster and I think I need to go on a hunt to replace them. If anyone has any volume of these books just lying around then you and I should talk.
 
 
I wonder how many kids today actually learn these valuable life skills. I still wish they could have taught us more archery and sword fighting but I had no power to effect change.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I loved the Hardy Boys too and read as many as I could find. Apparently they are still in print, but the new revised versions have had the language "dumbed down" for today's kids. That says it all, doesn't it.

DrGoat said...

Hands down, it was the Tom Swift books. I still have about 20 or so. Couldn't bear to let them get lost. All of them are this beige color except for one, which is blue.