Wednesday, April 11, 2018

My Mega Post About My Love For Action Figures

 
I love action figures. I collect action figures. I can't think of a day when I don't come across some post that someone has done about these special kind of toys. I enjoy the variety of design styles a collector can come across and nothing smells better to me than a figure fresh out of the package.
 


 
We live in a golden age of action figures. Never have so many comic book, television, movie and literary figures found their way into plastic form - and never have the characters looks so much like the actors who played them. There are dozens of characters that come out monthly and while most can be found in the large stores like Target, Walmart or Toys R Us. That leaves room for some companies to produce high quality products just for the adult collector market.
 
 
The standard size for the ones I buy of Marvel and DC Superheroes used to only come in 6 inch sizes but recently, due to improvement in articulation and paint jobs, the 3 3/4 inch characters are more popular than ever, maybe almost as popular as the Star Wars and G.I Joe lines who have thrived for years at that smaller size.

 
 
Marvel's Secret Wars and DC's Super Powers lines were also part of the action figure boom of the 80s where many cartoons were produced for the express purpose of selling toy products at the toy stores (Transformers, Masters of the Universe)

 
 
 
 
 
I actually avoided buying any of the individual original Star Wars figures (despite what I know today about how valuable they can be) because the weren't large enough to interest me They came with a few accessories and their clothing was painted on. It's only been possible to created gorgeous paint jobs on these smaller figures for only a few years now.
 
 

 
I was raised on action dolls that you could dress up in various costumes and use realistic accessories to enhance the already high play value of these toys. The classic GI JOE dolls thus remain my all time favorite line.
 
 
 
 
Following closely are the Johnny West figures from MARX. They were 12 inches in height and built sturdy enough for a kid. They also came with over a dozen character specific accessories. I enjoyed the feel and smell of the PVC plastic that MARX used. Even their reproduction figures are beautiful and worth the investment. As you can see here, Johnny West was my first action figure. I was in love with the smell of the plastic.
 
 


 
 
Marx Toys made fantastic knight figures with accurate armor, choice of helmet and multiple weapons. An armoured Horse and Viking wear also available.
 
 
From the Collection Of Cool.
 
 
Like most toy lines from the 70s, the vehicles and accessories are fantastic and you would be surprised how costly it can be to find a figure mint in box from that time period. Slowly, I am trying to rebuild all the stuff that I lost when we moved back from Europe so I treasure those times when a favored old piece comes into my possession. Anyone who has read my blog knows that I have a deep love for this Oscar Goldman character from the Six Million Dollar Man line that was popular during the 1970s.
 
 
You can search PLAID STALLIONS for great pictures of all the toys lines that were available back when I was a kid. The Lone Ranger Rides Again line from Gabriel was especially well made.
 
 
 
In fact any of these figures from the 70s are high on my search list.
 
 

 
Adult Collectibles
 
 
I recently example of a set I wanted but was stopped from getting are these eight-inch Mego style dolls from the movie Django Unchained. Right before their released, they were pulled from shelves because many felt that dolls depicting slaves and slave owners was not something children should be exposed too. I hated that decision because the figures were created and priced in a way to satisfy adult collectors who were the true target for this product. Now the ones that did get out have become priced out of my league because of their scarcity. I hate when political correctness keeps me from enjoying my hobby to the fullest. I know I wasn't after these for the slaves. I just wanted a cool cowboy figure that actually looked like Jaime Fox did in the movie. I also knew the future value of such a set.
  
 
Many companies have reached into the past to created beautifully designed figures from popular TV shows and movies. I particularly love these from the Munsters. Iconic characters done right in plastic.
 
 
Mego made some of the greatest figures of all time. Mostly known for their superhero figures, I was always most impressed with their Star Trek line which in recently years has been re-issued for sale. This was a great way to allow collectors to replace the characters they may have lost since childhood.
 
 
Captain Action was an action figure created in 1966, equipped with a wardrobe of costumes allowing him to become Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Aquaman, the Phantom, The Lone Ranger (and Tonto), Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Sgt. Fury, Steve Canyon, and the Green Hornet. Captain Action was the Ideal Toy Company's answer to Hasbro's G.I. Joe — although the protagonist dolls of both toy lines were created and designed by the same toy-and-idea man, Stan Weston.
 
Season 1 By Ideal
 




 
 
 
 
Series 2 By Playing Mantis
 


 
 
 
Series 3
 
 
 




 
But my favorite character to collect in all her variety is Wonder Woman.
 
 




 

 
 
As much as I like the male superheroes, I LOVE the superhero girls. Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Supergirl are the characters that I collect multiple versions of. Plus any Barbie doll that is wearing a costume automatically becomes an action figures.
 

 
It also doesn't help my collecting budget that these fantastic Monster High figures have become available. I love the back story of each of these children of famous monsters and how that identity dictate how they dress. These are beautiful collectibles that display so well so I have no shame about having these beauties in my collection.
 

10 comments:

DrGoat said...

Cal, I'd call that a personal treatise on action figures. Went through it a couple of times. You are the master of your domain old bean. I particularly like the pic of you with your new Johnny West action figure. It brought back memories, so I dug out a few black and white photos of me with similar stuff around '54 or '55. We lived in a great time to grow up.
You've got an awesome (and I don't use that word unless it really fits) collection, with the memories to go with it. Can't ask for too much more. The Cave is indeed cool. Well below the line. Giant kudos.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks my brother. That made my week to read. This was originally written in 2013 but I improved it.

Dr. Theda said...

a great post, good Sir Kal !!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I remember this post from the first time you posted it but it stands the test of time!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You have been with me a long time Debra. All three of your have. Thank you for that validation.

DrGoat said...

You are not only validated, but Bona fide.

j-swin said...

As a kid of the 80’s I love action figures as much as you, such a big part of growing up. We always got excited realizing our birthday and x-mas presents were in the shape of blister packs. There is just some great about seeing your favorite characters in physical form. Long before cosplay this was a close as we got to meeting our heroes. I love every one of my 100+ Wonder Woman figures and couldn’t bare to part with a single one. Thank you for sharing.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I enjoy talking or hearing from someone who understands like I do how special these figures are to me.

Tim Knight said...

I hope this inspires you to write more posts like this. What a great article. It got me waxing nostalgic about my earliest action figures.

I was into Action Man (our version of GI Joe), Six Million Dollar Man (I recall having a Steve Austin and Maskatron, was that the villains name?), a Lone Ranger, some pirates (one had a hollow wooden leg with a treasure map in), and some random space aliens (with transparent rubber heads so you could see their brains), as well as the obligatory handful of Star Wars people!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That Pirate was from the Fighting Furies and I have THREE OF thim including the pirate with his pegleg AND with the treasure map inside. Great two. Only three characters and one was a ghost who glowed in the day. Fighting Furies. I have have one complete set. The Bedoin one with the eagle. TOO COOL.